Thursday, January 05, 2012

Start the Ball Rolling and Hope 2012 Slopes Downhill...


My goals for 2012 are numerous and varied, but many of them are extremely do-able.  For January I’m going to focus on those things that are actually a year-long goal.  They are:

1.  Donate blood once per month
2.  Get a massage every other month
3.  Do a jigsaw puzzle each quarter
4.  Service my beloved car every 4 months or so

…do you see the trend here?  The message is simple:  take care of the stuff that’s important to me.   I donate blood because I’ve had people that I love almost die, and be saved simply by having access to health care they needed.  I’m not gonna become a doctor (you’re welcome future not-patients) but I can do my part.  (Now I can certainly go every month and try to donate blood.  I can’t promise to fill an entire pint bag ever, as I’m super-powerful at clotting the bloods, but I’ll at least try.

I’ll take care of my body both by finding a balance on the exercise (although I did get on the scale and it looks like I’ll have to lose about 3 lbs to get back to my pre-holiday numbers) while still being sure to keep myself in shape.  But I’m also going to take care of my poor, creeky old bones via the laying on of hands – specifically the hands of others – in a massage-like fashion.  Because yay for massages!

As I get older I worry less and less about dying early due to my health – the health is good, and also there’s a limit to how much control you’ve really got over such things.  But as I’ve had older members of my family come to the end of their run I’ve been dismayed to see their minds fail them before their bodies did.  I intend to do what I can to get my head-gear-parts keep up with the body-gear-parts.  And so?  Jigsaw puzzles.  Fun but also brain-worky.  (see how smartish my brains is?  Important to keep those as such.)

And finally taking care of my really good car.  I have a really, really good car.  For the first time in my life, and also for the first time I’m in a financial position to be able to actually take care of this car.  Add to that the fact that I’m back home, where I have a mechanic I both like and can also trust?  Oh yes, this one is a no-brainer.  (Hmmm.  Possibly it’s too late for the jigsaw puzzle one…)

So these will start this month, and they’ll keep going for the rest of the year.  Hopefully.  Fingers crossed.  All things considered.  Wish me luck.  I’m feeling really good about this!

No comments: