Monday, February 25, 2008

Diablo Cody, you're my HERO!

OK, so I’ve been doing this blogging thing for a while (and I think I’ve mentioned that I mostly do it for me and because I love it, because I’m essentially a selfish person) and I’ll admit that it’s got me feeling more and more like if I actually had a dream (which I don’t – blogpost on that to come soon. Watch this space.) it would be something around writing for a living. I love the writing, even when I’m not doing it so well (sometimes ESPECIALLY when I’m not doing it so well) and I do think that I do it better than the average bear (their lack of thumbs is no excuse!).

At the same time, rarely have I seen the career guide or online class or seminar called “Writing: it’s a totally easy thing to do for a living and a guaranteed source of massive wealth. Ask me how!” Like all the fun jobs, the really hard part is finding a way to be a truly successful professional writer. I’ve looked on this blog as a sort of “step one” – if I can do this pretty well and regularly than maybe there’s hope for me, blah blah blah, theme song to Rocky, sweep the legs Danielsan, It’s up to you, New York, etc… It’s the step two that I’m not seeing from here.

Until last night!

Now, thanks to Diablo Cody and her amazing, now Oscar-award winning screenplay for Juno, I have a plan. It’s so simple, and yet without her guidance I’d have never seen the path! It is like so:

1. Become a stripper
2. Blog about being a stripper (which is a plus for you guys, after reading this blog all about not being a stripper. What the heck was I thinking?)
3. Write a book about life as a stripper
4. Write an award-winning screenplay (doesn’t HAVE to be an Oscar – I’d take a globe all golden and lovely or even something from the people. (Of the people? By the people? Anyone? Anyone?)
5. Sit back and wait for the fame and accolades and money, money, money.

…of course this is just a rough outline of a plan. I need to nail down some of the details, but I feel better knowing that I have a real plan at last. Oh, and in case you were wondering my stripper name will be Dirty Mama Monroe. (I couldn’t make that one up.)

No comments: