Sunday, October 29, 2006

Was it something I never got a chance to say?

Here's a very new twist on rejection: I got matched and rejected before I even got to work on Thursday. No, really. I got an email saying "hey, we gots us another matchy-poo for you! Come and see!" so I went and see'd. But what I see'd was that McSecondy (I'd make a better nickname, but come on -- he ditched me!) had send me this warm, tender message:

"Based on statements in their profile, I'm not interested in this match."

Aaaawww, and I didn't get you anything...

As much as I know the rational way to respond to this is "whatever..." and move on quickly, I had to take a peek at my profile to see if I could figure out what it was that sent McSecondy fleeing. I think I finally figured it out when I reviewed his profile. One item read:

"You have to be with people. This extends into the need to gain popularity, achieve social recognition and influence those people around you. The "bottom-line" is a strong people orientation."

See, one of the things I've been kind of stressing about what I'll respond to from someone else is that they don't need to be with people. You don't spend most of 36 years as a solo-player (sorry, I meant to say "playa!") without developing an appreciation for private time. So I guess I'm seeing this as a good thing: if he's ever so clingy as that kind of indicates I'd rather he went away rather than my having to beg him to go away.

Moving on, there's a new match as of today. Apparently I attract vampires, because this guy also has no pictures. I don't know if there's truly no picture available for both of these matches or if they've decided they don't want to share that information until after the connection has been made. But frankly either way it gives a person pause. I mean I'm no cover girl or pin-up model, but I made the point of taking a couple of pictures of myself so as to have them out there. When someone doesn't provide a picture you can't help but worry that their single status may have something to do with their looks. (Like they have Michael Jackson's nose or Marty Feldman's baby blues.) I've already mentioned that this is pretty shallow, but it's also pretty dang honest. And in all the time we've known each other have I ever lied to you yet?

Still, until I get corroboration of this possibility (like finally getting a visual for one of these matches and realizing that Quazi Modo did, in fact, have kids) I'm not going to close a possible connection simply for lack of a photo. After all, that may be what put of McSecondy, right? And I don't want to be that guy. Not quite yet.

So I guess I'd better go check out the new guy, give him a nickname and decide if I want to start communicating, eh?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well I'd say how rude, but based on the quote I'd say, you better off baby!

Can't wait for more details!